Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Bloggity

We all have discouragement in life. Some seem to have more than others, and I've learned that you may never know what someone is going through on any given day. The wait staff that seems forgetful, the driver at the four way stop who goes out of turn, the mom who can't keep her kids quiet on the airplane. The more day to day "stuff" that piles into life, the more I realize that others probably aren't out to get under my skin, they've got their own "stuff" too.

So it really boggles my mind when others seem to be so deliberately mean. They've got their "stuff" I sure, but seemly out to pick a fight. I have always had a difficult time brushing things off, trying to be carefree but analyzing parts of the day that caught me off guard. 

A couple months ago I got a very rude and anonymous comment on this blog with a little wink face at the end, as if that made up for it. They were mad because Henry was wearing a Colts shirt in the photos and it wasn't "Indie". They also felt that monkeys on Oliver's socks looked too much like Curious George, and the cars screen printed on his outfit were an advertisement for Austin Healy. They were digging deep to find issues with the post. I shared it with Brian and we both decided that just deleting it was the best way to deal with it. I tried to be all "What Ev's" about it. But now every time I sit down to write a post I have to figure out if this is going to fit the bill of a blog called "Indie Mom". Which has made for very little blogging since then. 

I love to blog, it is a great form of expression, journaling, and chronicling life. But I don't like blogging with the intention to make other people happy. That's not why I started. I started because I love the community it creates, the fact that my family thousands of miles away can read about our day, and to point out some great little indie and fair trade businesses here and there.

So now I'm in need of a change. While I work on being better and brushing things off, I'll be doing it from another blog title, and one with moderated comments. The comment isn't the only reason for a change, but life has become more about family and less about things. Haven't quite decided on what to call it yet, but I'll let you know when I switch over. Thanks to everyone who has ever left a lovely comment of encouragement. You are why it's so fun to blog, love the connections made. 

{Update from my post about starting to work out again}
So my big push to get back on the horse and work out more regularly landed me in the doctor's office getting my shoulder x-rayed. It seems that I overdid it on one of my workouts and didn't listen to my body when it told me "stop punching!" I then drove for six hours and realized I was immense pain and couldn't lift my arm even slightly. Being a nursing mom I couldn't take much for the pain and just had to wait it out with my Ibuprofen with my wonderful husband taking care of us. It's nice to be able to lift my kiddos again.

What's a blog post without pictures?
Brian took Henry to the park while Oliver and I were on our way back from Chicago last weekend. 

My husband has a favorite team...so what? (Getting better at brushing it off?)


8 Lovely Words:

Jennifer said...

Why can't the good stuff stick with you instead of the bad? But then, that would make life easy right =) I for one, love your blog! And seriously, people have way way way too much time on their hands to notice what clothes your kids have on in a post. Please let us know what the new blog address is when you change over =)

gidgeteats said...

When I received my first negative blog comment I strangely felt like some blog milestone had been reached. (This is how I dealt with it: http://gidgeteats.wordpress.com/2010/04/02/oxford-mississippi-restaurant-round-up/)

The anonymity of the internet gives people misguided freedom. You can't please everyone and they can kindly click the "X" button!

I look forward to your new blog and hope you keep writing!

Tammy said...

Thanks ladies. :) I guess the squeaky wheel of my mind gets the grease. Does that metaphor work in this case? I don't even know these days, haha.

Erin, love your response to your first negative comment. Wow, I don't know if I would have displayed the same grace. It's a very good example to me.

Lindsay [rookie's nest] said...

i love your blog too, and gosh at least you're trying. that's more than we can say for a lot of people in this world.

i noticed your forest-themed kids room on pinterest. if you haven't already seen it, check this out:

http://www.bowerpowerblog.com/2010/09/nursery-reveal/

Eva Marie said...

Makes me sad that people are out to judge - indie or not it doesn't matter
Do your thing girl :) dont let anybody take that away

Tammy said...

:) Thanks Eva!

Manda said...

No two people are alike. And if someone doesn't like what you say or what you do or what you wear, then that's fine, but don't been mean and nasty about it. It's the "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all" principal. Sorry it turned you off blogging for a moment, but don't give up. I love checking your blog and seeing what you have to say. I love the pictures of the boys. :-) I think you have a good idea with switching "topics" on the blog...more family and less things... :-)

Anonymous said...

I think there is only One judgement we need to be concerned about. - I have known you longer than anyone, and remember when the injustices, that you have done your best in your own way tried to make less in this world, became such a burden on your heart that you refused to just look the other way. God gave us joys in life & I hope you never stop recognizing them, even when others can't. If you really feel the need to change the name of your blog, do it because you want to, not because of another person's judgement. I think you will always have "India on your Heart" Mom

Post a Comment

Comments are lovely, thank you!